French gastronomy has been added by the UNESCO to its World Heritage list in 2010. With its origins dating back to 14th century, French cooking shifted away from its foreign influences in 17th century and France’s own indigenous style of cooking was developed. Auguste Escoffier was the first chef and culinary expert to codify the French cuisine. In 1912 Escoffier launched “Dîner d’Epicure” (Epicurean Dinners) initiative – the same menu, the same day, in several world cities and aimed at as many diners as possible. The idea was to take french cuisine out there and give everyone an opportunity to experience this gastronomic delight.
The Goût de France/Good France project was first organized in 2015 on the initiative of renowned chef Alain Ducaisse and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development. First edition of this event brought together 1500 chefs from around the world who showcased their expertise and French gastronomy through 1500 menus.
Image courtesy: Good France website
In the words of Alain Ducaisse: “French cuisine is the interpreter of a cuisine that has evolved towards lightness in harmony with its environment..The common point of this event is generosity, sharing and the love of what is beautiful and tastes good. It will be a delightful interlude and an opportunity to celebrate french cuisine worldwide.””
Second edition of Goût de France took place in 2016 across 5 continents. And this year it is back again in India (and the whole world) on Tuesday, 21 March 2017.
I had the opportunity to taste some of the dishes from the renowned chefs across Mumbai who will be participating in this event.
It is your chance to experience this rich flavours of French cuisine and take home a taste of France with you. More than 65 restaurants have been chosen across the country by chef Alain Ducaisse where the diners can choose a restaurant and select from menus featuring gourmet French cuisine.
Click on the links below to view each restaurant in Mumbai / Pune / Goa offering a special “Goût de France / Good France” dinner on 21st March :
- Artisan, C-57, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai, www.sofitel.com
- Botticino, Trident Hotel, C-56 G Block, Bandra Kurla complex, Mumbai, www.tridenthotels.com
- The Chambers, The Taj Mahal Palace, Apollo Bunder, Mumbai, www.tajhotels.com
- The Clearing House, 13-15 Calicut Road, Ballard Estate, Mumbai
- Fenix, The Oberoi, Mumbai, www.oberoihotels.com
- Glass Window, Deccan Rendezvous 1202/3 Apte Road Shivajinagar, www.deccanrendezvous.com
- Olio, Novotel Mumbai Juhu Beach, Balraj Sahni Marg, Mumbai, http://www.novotel.com/gb/country/hotels-india-pin.shtml
- Olive Bar and Kitchen, 4, Nargis Dutt Road, Union Park, Khar West, Next to Tourist Hotel, Mumbai,www.olivebarandkitchen.com
- Olive Bistro, Oberoi Mall General AK Vidya Marg, Dindoshi, Goregaon East, Mumbai, www.olivebarandkitchen.co
- Rivea, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Domestic Terminal) Off Western Express Highway, Santacruz (east), Mumbai, www.tajhotels.com
- The Sassy Spoon, Nariman Point, Express Towers, Ramnath Goenka Marg, Nariman Point, Mumbai,www.thesassyspoon.in
- The Square, The Square @ Novotel Ahmedabad, www.accorhotels.com/8173
- Square, Novotel Goa Shrem Hotel, Anna Waddo, Candolim – Goa, http://www.novotel.com/fr/hotel-8855-novotel-goa-shrem/index.shtml
- Upper Crust Lounge – ITC Maratha, Sahar Road, Andheri (East), Mumbai, www.itchotels.in
- Vista, Bandstand, Bandra, Mumbai, www.tajhotels.com
- Indigo, 4, Mandlik Rd, Colaba, Behind Taj Mahal Hotel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India,http://www.foodindigo.com/
(Sourced from the official Good France website)
This list is also available on the official Good France website, along with greater details on each eatery, their contact details, and more importantly, the chefs and the French menu they are offering for this grand soirée.
You can reserve a table directly on the Zomato website from Tuesday 14th March 2017. By booking a table you will stand a chance to win a trip to France through a contest organized by Atout France (France Tourism Development Agency) and its preferred partners Air France and Relais et Chateaux. How exciting is that!