- 1 Why do the French call Scotland Ecosse?
- 2 Is Scotland masculine or feminine?
- 3 Is Mon French for mine?
- 4 What do the French call the UK?
- 5 What is the French word for France?
- 6 Is Paris feminine or masculine?
- 7 Are countries feminine?
- 8 Is USA feminine or masculine?
- 9 How do you say Forever Mine in French?
- 10 How do you use mine in French?
- 11 What is your name Formal?
Why do the French call Scotland Ecosse?
It’s calqued from the same roots that Eng-land is formed from. Good call — thanks! Ecosse ” Scotland ” is just a normal development from its Latin name Scot(t)i. I always thought that Scoti in Latin referred to the denizens of Ireland and that people from present-day Scotland were referred to as Picti in Latin.
Is Scotland masculine or feminine?
By the way, Šotlandija ( Scotland ) and Irlandija (Ireland) are both feminine, but Uèl’s (Wales) and Kornuol (Cornwall) are masculine.
Is Mon French for mine?
There are generally three words for my in French: mon, ma and mes. To decide whether to use mon, ma or mes to translate my, we need to look at the noun that comes after it (“thing or person owned”). Recall that French nouns can be either masculine (words that you use le with) or feminine (words that you use la with).
What do the French call the UK?
Correct translation of the United Kingdom in French is “le Royaume Uni”. Often, we just speak about the main Island, and call Great Britain (“la Grande Bretagne”). We also call it by the name of its main entity, England (“l’Angleterre”).
What is the French word for France?
The verlan word for France is Céfran. Verlan is a type of slang in which the order of the syllables or sounds of words is changed. France 24: French version of CNN!
Is Paris feminine or masculine?
When you use the name of a city to represent its government or sporting club, then that name is masculine in French. Paris est gagnant. Paris est champion de France. Paris (here the sporting club of Paris ) is the winner.
Are countries feminine?
Country is neither a masculine or feminine word. Nouns in English are not generally assigned genders. It is relatively common (although slightly old-fashioned) to refer to a country as a person when talking about it.
Is USA feminine or masculine?
Countries like the United States, Mexico, China, and Japan are all considered to be masculine. ” Masculinity stands for a society in which social gender roles are clearly distinct.
How do you say Forever Mine in French?
mine forever. Tu m’appartiens
How do you use mine in French?
- Possessive de = Apostrophe s.
- Possessive à = Of mine /yours/his … / To me/you/him.
- Possessive adjectives = My, your, his, her, its, our, their.
- Possessive pronouns = Mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, theirs.
- En español.
What is your name Formal?
In a formal setting, it is best to say something like this (while smiling and extending your hand, if appropriate): “Hello, my name is Joseph Biotech. It is a pleasure to meet you.