- 1 Is Oban Scotland worth visiting?
- 2 What is there to do in Oban today?
- 3 What is Oban famous for?
- 4 Is Oban a good base?
- 5 Is Oban pretty?
- 6 Is it better to stay in Glencoe or Fort William?
- 7 Does Oban have a beach?
- 8 What shops are in Oban?
- 9 What islands can I visit from Oban?
- 10 Is Oban a nice place to live?
- 11 Is Oban a Scotch?
- 12 How far is Oban from Glasgow?
- 13 Where does the ferry from Oban to?
- 14 Is Oban in the Highlands?
- 15 How far is Fort William from Oban?
Is Oban Scotland worth visiting?
The resort town of Oban is well worth visiting on a day trip or short break. Situated on Scotland’s west coast, this charming port is known as the ‘seafood capital of Scotland ‘.
What is there to do in Oban today?
10 Top-Rated Attractions & Things to Do in Oban
- Make the Climb to McCaig’s Tower.
- Take a Stroll along Corran Esplanade.
- Visit Dunollie Museum, Castle, and Grounds.
- See Dunstaffnage Castle and Chapel.
- Take a Tour of Castle Stalker.
- Bonawe Iron Furnace.
- Loch Etive and Ardchattan Priory Gardens.
What is Oban famous for?
Oban is best known as the ‘Gateway to the Isles’, thanks to its role as a hub for tourists departing to the islands of the Inner and Outer Hebrides.
Is Oban a good base?
Oban is infinitely preferable to Fort William, you have several boat trips to islands to choose from. We once had a fortnight in Oban, it rained every day. Oban, as said, is a good base for Mull etc. Stay there for a few days then if you wish to explore Skye, stay on Skye.
Is Oban pretty?
It is a pretty coastal town, and the scenic railway terminates there. One of the attractions of Oban is that it is a lovely one hour ferry ride across to the very scenic and mountainous Isle of Mull, and even onto thetiny and very historic, Isle of Iona.
Is it better to stay in Glencoe or Fort William?
I personally quite prefer Glencoe because of it’s scenic beauty and very small towns do not bother me, especially if it is only for a night or two. You could look at some menus online if it helps. But if you want loads of amenities, Fort William is definitely the way to go.
Does Oban have a beach?
Ganavan Sands is located north of Oban in Argyll & The Isles. This picturesque sandy beach boasts easy access, ample parking and great views out to Mull, Lismore and Morven. The beach lies adjacent to a super coastal walk.
What shops are in Oban?
Shops in Oban
- Oban Distillery. Stafford Street, Oban, Argyll and Bute, PA34 5NH 0.4 miles.
- Oban Chocolate Company. 34 Corran Esplanade, Oban, Argyll and Bute, PA34 5PS 0.4 miles.
- Cuan Mor Restaurant and Bar.
- Oban Bay Brewery.
- Kitchen Garden Delicatessen.
- Cakebread’s Home & Garden Centre.
What islands can I visit from Oban?
Five islands to visit in a day trip from Oban
- Isle of Kerrera.
- Isle of Lismore.
- Isle of Mull & Iona.
- Seil Island.
- Easdale Island.
- Further afield.
- Explore Oban.
Is Oban a nice place to live?
Oban is a lovely little seaport on the west coast of Scotland. It has a beautiful sheltered harbour served by a ferry service to the Islands. It’s well served with train access, road, access and infrastructure such as supermarkets etc. It’s not far to the Cairngorms if you like walking and skiing.
Is Oban a Scotch?
Oban is an outstanding malt whisky with a signature style that combines the best features of whiskies of the western Highlands and the Islands. For Scotch whisky enthusiasts, its long history adds an additional element of enjoyment.
How far is Oban from Glasgow?
Yes, the driving distance between Glasgow to Oban is 91 miles. 5
Where does the ferry from Oban to?
The most direct route to Mull is by ferry from Oban, which drops you at Craignure. The journey takes 46 minutes. Vehicle reservations are recommended. You can also get to Mull from Lochaline and Kilchoan on Morvern and Ardnamurchan.
Is Oban in the Highlands?
Oban’s name in Gaelic means little bay. Oban is also the unofficial capital of the West Highlands being the main town in the area serving many smaller towns and town and villages. Oban is popular with holiday makers and is a great place to stay in Scotland.
How far is Fort William from Oban?
The distance between Oban and Fort William is 31 miles. 5